Lee Holdsworth has achieved a P4 for his best result yet at Preston Hire Racing and finished 2nd overall for the round at the Newcastle 500.
- Lee finished P4 in Race 25.
- Lee finished P8 in Race 26.
- Lee was 2nd Overall for the weekend.
- Lee was 16th in the Supercars Championship.
Race 25 – Position 4
Holdsworth qualified P18 for the inaugural Supercars Championship Race on the streets of Newcastle, but didn’t remain at the back of the field for long.
Moving up into the Top 10 after the first Pit Stop, despite a lack of passing corners on the new track, Holdsworth made himself the last to take a 3rd and final Pit Stop from P1.
Rejoining in P7 behind a strong front field, Holdsworth picked off places in front from De Silvestro, Reynolds and Van Gisbergen to finish P4 for the team’s best result yet.
The team and Holdsworth were ecstatic with the result after a trying year, and believe they have set the tone for 2018.
Race 26 – Position 8
Holdsworth qualified P13 for the final race of the Supercars Championship.
The team adapted a similar strategy to Saturday, with Holdsworth being one of the last to pit from P1 and rejoin in P10.
From there, Holdsworth was able to move through the field and hold down P8 for the finale.
Holdsworth’s P4 & P8 result meant that he finished 2nd Overall at the inaugural Newcastle 500, another best for the team.
The results meant Holdsworth jumped from 18th to 16th in the Championship before its conclusion.
“GREAT WAY TO END THE YEAR, AGAIN BACKED UP THE RACE PACE FROM YESTERDAY. MOVED FORWARD AND ENDED UP P8, ABSOLUTELY STOKED WE CAME 2ND ON POINTS FOR THE WEEKEND. REALLY PROUD OF THE TEAM AND WHAT WE’VE ACHIEVED AND SERIOUSLY PUMPED ABOUT NEXT YEAR.”
SUPERCARS CHAMPIONSHIP STANDINGS
- 1 – Jamie Whincup – Triple Eight: 3042 points
- 2 – Scott McLaughlin – DJR Team Penske: 3021 points
- 3 – Fabian Coulthard – DJR Team Penske: 2812 points
- 4 – Shane Van Gisbergen – Triple Eight: 2769 points
- 5 – Chaz Mostert – Supercheap Auto Racing: 2748 points
- 16 – Lee Holdsworth – Preston Hire Racing: 1647 points