Lee Holdsworth has produced a pair of P15 Race Results at the Sydney SuperSprint for Round 9 of the Supercars Championship.
- Holdsworth finished P9 in Practice 1.
- Holdsworth qualified P11 for Race 18.
- Holdsworth has moved to 12th in the Championship Standings.
Race 17 – Position 15
Holdsworth had a promising start to the weekend with P9 in Practice 1, but in Saturday’s final practice session the car returned to the garage early with a gearbox issue which the team rushed to fix before Qualifying.
Holdsworth struggled in Qualifying to finish P21, but the team later found an oil leak that was sprayed on to the rear tyre and again raced against the clock to be ready for the Race.
Holdsworth started the Race in P20 following another driver’s penalty and narrowly avoided a series of clashes on the opening lap, but struggled with speed and dropped down the order at the Safety Car Restart.
Holdsworth was able to finish in P18 at the conclusion of the 31 Lap Race but his result was later promoted to P15 with penalties on Moffat, Van Gisbergen and McLaughlin up ahead.
Race 18 – Position 15
A good qualifying session saw Holdsworth start just outside the ten, and a solid Race strategy saw him move into P9 after the final pit-stop.
The balance in the car changed as the track gripped up hurting the tyre life, but Holdsworth managed to hang on to again finish in P15, and moved into 12th in the Championship Standings.
“A PAIR OF 15TH’S IN THE RACES CERTAINLY WASN’T THE AIM FOR THE WEEKEND BUT SOMEHOW WE JUMPED UP ANOTHER SPOT IN THE CHAMPIONSHIP TO 12TH, AND CLOSED THE GAP TO 11TH! CAN’T WAIT TO START THE ENDURANCE CAMPAIGN NEXT ROUND WITH KARL AND BAG SOME BIG POINTS. BRING IT ON!”
Preston Hire Racing will now prepare for Round 10 of the Supercars Championship at the Sandown 500 on September 15-17, with all Races to be televised LIVE on Fox Sports.
SUPERCARS CHAMPIONSHIP LEADERBOARD
- 1 – Scott McLaughlin – DJR Team Penske: 2058 points
- 2 – Jamie Whincup – Triple Eight: 2046 points
- 3 – Fabian Coulthard – DJR Team Penske: 1951 points
- 4 – Shane Van Gisbergen – Triple Eight: 1800 points
- 5 – Chaz Mostert – Supercheap Auto Racing: 1794 points
- 12 – Lee Holdsworth: Preston Hire Racing – 1089 points